Popular posts from this blog
Rhabdo. Or, Not?
I had to decide to leave the trail again. Yes, again. Third time. I'm not happy about it, but it was something that I had to do. I was getting very sick and took a three week break while we were in NH/MA to see Sherry's friends and family. I was hoping to finish a short segment in Vermont but did a one-day, 14 mile slack pack Sunday (the 3rd) to evaluate my recovery and it didn't go well. All of the symptoms I had been experiencing were back by the end of the day and I had a hard time finishing. And, that was without a backpack. So, we've decided it's time to go home and get well. The trail will still be there and I can come back a fourth time (fourth!) to finish it. I've been doing a lot of research trying to figure out what the problem is and believe I had rhabdomyolysis , rhabdo for short. This is a particularly nasty disease where the muscles break down and are essentially being digested by the body. It's very painful and can lead to kidney dama...
AT Attempt #3
I started my third attempt to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail on March 6. Sherry is following along with our RV and will provide support. Hopefully, that will be enough to get me to the end this time. I started at the southern terminus (Springer Mt) in Georgia this time (in the snow) and the trail is much easier than the ones up north. Good thing because I couldn't get in as much training as I normally like to. I'm both out of shape and more than 20 pounds overweight. That's like carrying an extra backpack. I've been on the trail for a week and even took my first zero to be with Sherry on our anniversary. I'm staying in a shelter tonight for the first time this hike because the forecast is calling for high winds and thunderstorms tonight - part of the adventure. Otherwise, things are going well, and I'm picking up speed. We're hoping to finish around Labor Day, plus or minus. It's difficult for me to do these posts on my phone with my fat fingers but I...










Comments
Post a Comment